Divorce is painful but it’s also a very profitable business. Joseph Sorge is the writer and director of Divorce Corp. The movie is a powerful and chilling documentary on the divorce industry. It is a really well done piece that outlines the destructive nature of the family court system. Before he began writing and filmmaking, Joseph earned a B.S. degree from M.I.T., and an M.D degree from Harvard, was a professor of molecular biology at The Scripps Research Institute, and founded a biotechnology company, Stratagene, which he took public and later sold to a large medical supply company. In this episode we talk about:
- A behind the scenes look at how attorneys and judges work on divorce cases.
- Why money becomes a major factor during divorce hearings.
- How divorce is portrayed and practiced in other countries.
- How 50/50 parenting impacts the wellbeing of children.
- Why some couples use finances during divorce to get revenge on each other.
- Why the divorce system is biased toward the “breadwinner”.
- The inequalities of child support based on gender and salaries.
- Cultural and gender biases that are inherent in the divorce system.
- Can the divorce system in the United States change?
- Joe shares ideas on fixing the system.
- Strategies on picking the best lawyer to represent you.
- How to mentally prepare when going into court.
You can find out more about Joe Sorge at http://www.divorcecorp.com
Make sure that you follow Divorce Corp on twitter @divorcecorp