How To Get Over Loneliness During Your Divorce
Loneliness affects almost every divorced person in one way or another. Dr. John Cacioppo joins the Over Divorce Podcast to talk about loneliness. He is the Tiffany and Margaret Blake Distinguished Service Professor and Director of the Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience at the University of Chicago.
Dr. Cacioppo is a pioneer in the field of social neuroscience and the author of more than 500 scientific articles and 20 books including Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection.
Among the awards he has received is the Troland Award from the National Academy of Sciences, the Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award from American Psychological Association, a MERIT Award from the National Institute of Health and is recognized one of the top 50 most eminent psychologists of the Modern Era.
His research in social neuroscience is devoted to understanding the neural, cellular, and molecular mechanisms underlying the social structures and processes that define us as a social species.
During the show we explore the following issues:
- Why you are genetically programmed to feel loneliness and what to do about it.
- The evolution of loneliness and how it impacts you during divorce.
- Why your brain is isolating you from other people and how to deal with it.
- Find out the connection between sleep and loneliness.
- How loneliness protects your social body so that you can survive and prosper.
- The difference between being alone and feeling lonely.
- The link between loneliness and physical pain.
- Why loneliness during divorce is completely normal and not a sign of weakness.
- Why your brain hides your loneliness and how to spot it.
- How to get control over your divorce loneliness.
- How to use Facebook to lower loneliness.
- Why loneliness is just as dangerous as obesity.
- Cacioppo reveals his E.A.S.E methodology for getting rid of loneliness.
- Why you only need 1 or 2 good relationships to feel connected.
Read the transcript here
Make sure you check out Dr. Cacioppo’s website for more information about loneliness http://www.johncacioppo.com/
Dr. Cacioppo book Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection can be found on Amazon.