We’re talking about coping with the first stages of divorce with psychologist Dr. Sam Buser. He specializes in helping men to grow though their divorce. He’s taught graduate courses in marital and family therapy for 20 years at the University of Houston and the Baylor College of Medicine. He’s the past-president of both the Houston and Texas Psychological Associations. He was the Director of the Family Therapy Program at the Houston Veterans Administration. Currently he is the Staff Psychologist for the Houston Fire Department and maintains a practice specializing in men’s issues, relationship problems, and adventure therapy. He is also the author of The Guy’s Only Guide to Getting Over Divorce. On this episode of the podcast we discuss:
- The 2 most common questions that guys ask therapists about divorce.
- How to know when to stop trying to get your ex back.
- The two different mindsets of women that ask for divorce.
- The relationship between fighting and reconciliation.
- What to do if your wife wants a divorce.
- Why women are attracted to guys that are going through divorce.
- What women want most in a man.
- One of the biggest problems that men have after divorce and how to solve it.
- How to know when you are ready for another relationship.
- The amount of time that you should wait before getting into a committed relationship.
- How to deal with the separation period.
- What to expect during the first few months of divorce.
- How to communicate with your children about your divorce.
- The guidelines for communicating with your ex-wife.
- Two tricks to managing anger during divorce.
- The benefits to adventure therapy.
Dr. Buser recommends reading: Breaking Barriers in Counseling Men: Insights and Innovations by Aaron Rochlen and Fredric Rabinowitz.
Make sure to check out Dr. Buser’s book http://www.guysonlyguides.com/
If you would like to work with or find out more about Dr. Buser go to his divorce website:
3435 Branard, Suite 202
Houston, Texas 77027-6031
Phone: (713) 623-2110